Last updated on September 22, 2023
The policies below describe SafeChoice Insurance Company (“SafeChoice,” “us,” “our”, or “we”) agreement with you (“you”) when you visit our public-facing websites hosted under the domains https://safechoiceins.com/ (the “Website”). By using the Website, you signify your agreement to these policies. If you do not agree to these policies, you may not use the Website.
Categories of Personal Information We Collect
We collect the following categories of information from or about our consumers, each of which are “personal information” as used herein:
- Identifiers and personal information categories (e.g., name, date of birth, mailing address, phone number, email address, internet protocol address, Social Security number, insurance policy number, driver’s license number, bank account number and other payment information, financial history, marital status)
- Protected classification characteristics (e.g., age and marital status)
- Commercial information (e.g., records of personal property, payment history, claims history, other payment or financial information, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies)
- Internet or other electronic network activity information regarding your interaction with our website (e.g., browsing history, cookies, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement)
- Sensitive Personal Information: We collect the following information, which may be categorized in your state as “sensitive” personal information: social security number, driver’s license number, bank account number(s), and marital status.
Sources of Information
We obtain the categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you. For example, we collect the information that you provide (or that someone else provides on your behalf) when you fill out online applications, or other forms, and when you submit questions or comments online or by email or by text messages.
- Directly and indirectly from your activity on our website. For example, we collect information from your submissions through our website portal and website usage details collected automatically through cookies and other similar tracking technologies.
- From consumer reporting agencies, public records and data collection agencies. For example, we collect information regarding your obligations with others, your creditworthiness, loss history, and claims data from these sources.
- From transactions with SafeChoice or other nonaffiliated parties. For example, we collect information, such as your name, address, availability of funds, insurance coverage, transaction history, claims history and premiums, from these sources.
We collect personal information in the following ways:
- Automatic Collection: If you download material or browse through the Website, our servers automatically collect certain information about you which may include: (a) the name of the domain and host from which you access the Internet; (b) the browser software you use and your operating system; (c) the Internet address of the website from which you linked to the Website; (d) the Internet address of the device you used to access the Website and the location from which such access occurred; and (e) the time(s) when you accessed the Website.
- Voluntary Collection: You may voluntarily enter or otherwise provide information to us on the Website, such as through a contact request form or email. You may also voluntarily provide information to us when you use certain features of the Website, such as applying for a job with us.
The technologies we use for automatic data collection may include:
- Web Beacons. Pages of our Website may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit us, for example, to count users who have visited those pages and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
Purposes and Use of Collected Personal Information
We may use or disclose personal information, including certain sensitive personal information, we collect for one or more of our following business purposes:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To fulfill or meet the reason for which the information is provided.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us.
- To maintain or service your accounts and to provide customer service.
- To provide you with email alerts, text message alerts, event registrations and other notices concerning our products or services, or events or news, that may be of interest to you.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- Improve, market or promote our products and services to you.
- Where relevant, to consider your application for employment.
- Compile, synthesize, generate and analyze anonymous usage and other aggregated information.
- To improve user experience by making our Website easier to use and navigate.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, receivership, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
- As necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property or safety of us, our clients or others.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- As described to you when collecting your personal information.
We may use the personal information we have collected from you to enable us to display advertisements to our advertisers’ target audiences. Even though we do not disclose your personal information for these purposes without your consent, if you click on or otherwise interact with an advertisement, the advertiser may assume that you meet its target criteria.
We will not collect additional categories of personal information from you or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice and obtaining your consent in advance.
Sharing Personal Information
We may disclose the following categories of your personal information to third parties for our business purposes, as described above:
- Identifiers and personal information categories (e.g., name, date of birth, mailing address, phone number, email address, Internet Protocol address, Social Security number, insurance policy number, bank account number and other payment information, financial history, marital status)
- Protected classification characteristics (e.g., age, marital status)
- Commercial information (e.g., records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies)
- Internet or other electronic network activity information (e.g., browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement)
- We may also disclose without restriction aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual.
We may, as allowed by law, disclose to the following categories of third parties your personal information for our business purposes, as described above:
- Third parties that use your personal information to process payments, validate your credit and loss history, and provide other similar services on our behalf.
- Other insurance institutions, financial institutions, reinsurers, insurance producers, or consumer reporting agencies as needed in connection with any insurance application, policy or claim involving you.
- Third parties that conduct research, including actuarial or underwriting studies.
- Adjusters, appraisers, auditors, investigators and attorneys.
- Third parties that may explore certain transactions with SafeChoice, such as certain investments, loan transactions, and mergers and acquisitions of portions or all of our business.
- Third parties who perform business, professional or insurance functions for SafeChoice including service providers, agents or independent contractors.
- To our subsidiaries and affiliated companies.
- We may disclose your personal information to law enforcement, government agencies, and other related third parties, in order to comply with any court order, the law, or legal process, to enforce our policies, or to protect our or others’ rights, property, or safety.
We do not sell any personal information of current or former consumers.
Third-Party Cookies and Links
Our website contains links to other sites. SafeChoice is not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such other sites. If you have any questions about how these other sites use your information, you should review their policies and contact them directly.
How SafeChoice Responds to Do-Not-Track Signals
Certain state law requires commercial website owners and operators to disclose how their website responds to web browser “do not track” signals. If you have enabled your browser for that purpose, at this time, we do not honor “do not track” requests or change our services or information practices in any way as a result of receiving “do not track” requests from your browser.
Collection and Use of Information From Children
NOTICE TO CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13 AND THEIR PARENTS OR LEGAL GUARDIANS: SAFECHOICE DOES NOT KNOWINGLY COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION FROM CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13 AND CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13 ARE SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITED FROM SUBMITTING ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION ON THE WEBSITES. IF YOU ARE UNDER THE AGE OF 13, DO NOT SEND SAFECHOICE ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, NAME AND/OR CONTACT INFORMATION. IF WE LEARN WE HAVE COLLECTED OR RECEIVED PERSONAL INFORMATION FROM A CHILD UNDER 13 WITHOUT VERIFICATION OF PARENTAL CONSENT, WE WILL DELETE THAT INFORMATION. IF YOU BELIEVE WE MIGHT HAVE ANY INFORMATION FROM OR ABOUT A CHILD UNDER 13, PLEASE CONTACT US AT https://safechoiceins.com/contact-us/.
You have the following rights with respect to your personal information:
- Right to Know: You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information over the past twelve (12) months. Once we receive and confirm your request, we will disclose the following to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information and the categories of personal information shared with those third parties.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you.
- Right to Opt-Out: You have the right to opt-out of our sharing of your personal information with third parties, subject to certain exceptions necessary for SafeChoice to provide you our products and services, as set forth above under Sharing Your Personal Information.
- Right to Correction: You have the right to request correction of any inaccurate personal information.
- Right to Request Deletion: You have the right to request that we delete your personal information that we have collected about you. We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us to: complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information; provide a good or service that you requested; take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you; detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities; debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality; exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law; engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s achievement, if you previously provided informed consent; enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us; comply with a legal obligation; or make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it. We will delete or deidentify personal information not subject to one of these exceptions from our records and will direct our service providers to take similar action.
- Right to Non-Discrimination: We will not discriminate against you because you exercise your rights. For example, we will not deny you goods or services or charge you a different price or rate for goods or services if you make an access or deletion request.
Exercising Your Rights
To exercise the rights described above, please submit your request to us by either:
- Calling us at 1-800-481-0661; or
- Emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Only you, or a person legally authorized to act on your behalf, may submit a request related to your personal information. You may also submit a request on behalf of your minor child. You may only make a request for information twice within a 12-month period. We will not charge a fee to respond to your request. Any such inquiry will be responded to within thirty (30) days. We must verify your identity with respect to such inquiries. Depending on the nature of the Personal Information at issue, we may require additional measures or information from you as part of that verification.
You may be asked to provide your name, insured property address, and date of birth when making the request.
SafeChoice maintains reasonable administrative, technical and physical security measures to protect the security of your personal information. We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers behind firewalls. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted over the Internet. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website. No security system is impenetrable, and Company cannot guarantee the security of this website, nor that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the Internet. By using the services or providing personal information to us, you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the services, including providing you any notice or notification related to same as required under state law.
ACH Transaction, Credit, and Debit Card Safety
If you pay an invoice or bill, or make a purchase, on the Website, you will be routed to our bank services link for your ACH, Credit or Debit Card Transaction. Your checking account, credit or debit card number is encrypted when transmitted. Encryption is used with every submission of financial information you sent. Other personal information may also be encrypted when authorizing a payment.
For More Information
Links from the Website
If the Website contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your convenience only. This includes links contained in advertisements, including banner advertisements and sponsored links. We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources, and accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. If you decide to access any of the third-party websites linked to this Website, you do so entirely at your own risk and subject to the terms and conditions of use and privacy policies for such websites.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction
Binding Arbitration and Class Action Waiver
Limitation on Time to File Claims
Waiver and Severability
How to Contact Us
If you have questions about these policies, you can contact us via https://safechoiceins.com/contact-us/.